Saturday 5 February 2011

Admiral Fallow Review

We walked for an hour in knee deep snow, through the dark and eerily quiet streets of Glasgow, just to see Admiral Fallow and Frightened Rabbit; now if that's not dedication I'm not sure what is! Considering that I had bought the tickets in the middle of summer and have been getting more and more excited as the months have gone on, the blizzards couldn't keep me away! To see two Scottish bands that I wholly and truly love in my hometown... there was no way in hell I was going to miss an opportunity like that!

It was good to know that the band also struggled to get to the gig; 'We walked here with our guitars hahaha,' said lead singer Louis Abbott, and I believed him! My brother, who came with me to the gig, just laughed at my gullibility but hey ho. The band seemed really grateful to the audience for trudging through the snow; they continuously thanked everyone for making the journey to see them! It makes it even more worthwhile when you make the effort to see a band and they genuinely appreciate it.
ST832325

For all that it was relatively quiet (and bloody freezing!) when Admiral Fallow started their set, the place soon livened up, with their warm, folky sounds and bouncy musical interludes. The song choice for the gig was, in my humble opinion, perfect! They portrayed their sound perfectly; the indie guitar, the entirely encapsulating lyrics, the folk element that you cant help but bop along to, the classical element with the beautiful flute and clarinet haunting the background of every song... they are just beautiful to listen to. I bought their album, Boots Meet My Face, in early July this year and it was love at first listen.

Their set included (in no particular order), 'Squealing Pigs,' which the crowd went wild to, 'Subbuteo,' also a big crowd pleaser, 'These Barren Years,' 'Taste the Coast' and 'Old Balloons.' They also performed a new song, 'Paper Trenches,' a wee taster off their forthcoming album (which I am eagerly anticipating!). The new song was a wee bit more folky than their previous songs, warmer almost. Their music seems very haunting, cold but cosy, something which I think encapsulates their Scottish sound quite fully! But their new song seems a lot warmer, almost American mid-west esque to an extent. I really can't wait to get hold of the single and/or the album when it's released! I really want to see the growth from their first album, to their second. I think for audience members that were already fans of Admiral Fallow were given as much as potential new fans to be excited for the future for the band and their music.
I was watching the highlights from T in the Park when I discovered Admiral Fallow; their song 'Squealing Pigs' came on and it was love at first listen. My ears literally perked up and even after only listening to only one song, I knew I had to hear more. That's the thing I love about music, the fact that it has the ability to grab you and not let you go, and I think this is something that Admiral Fallow, both through their album and their live performances, do exceptionally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment