Saturday 5 February 2011

Herculean in the studio

ST832277

















This week, we had the lovely boys from Herculean in the studio with me! Stuart (vocals, guitar and piano), Declan (drums) and Steven (bass) braved the horribly snowy streets of Glasgow to come into the studio where they played their song "Stay" for us. We also played their recorded tracks, "Broken" and "The Airship Sunset."
The boys were exceptionally chatty despite the bitter cold, discussing our mutual hatred for the X-factor, our mutual love for Bob Dylan and the music that makes them who they are as a group.

It was really interesting to see how well they've connected as a group, resulting in their music, but how they all are so different individually with their tastes in music:
What bands/artists were you into during your teenage years?
Stuart : I grew up with Coldplay, Oasis and U2. I was really obsessed with Damon Albarn for years as well, and became a massive Blur and Gorillaz fan.

Declan : Throughout my teenage years I listened to lot of British music, Oasis, Kasabian, Coldplay, Stereophonics and the Beatles. Just now I’m listening to a lot of older music with bands such as Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones. I feel bad that I hadn’t found these bands earlier because their fantastic!!
Steven : During my teenage years I really got into The Offspring, Nirvana, Papa Roach, Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance. I'm still a teenager and still think those bands are awesome.
What is your ultimate guilty pleasure in music?
Stuart : There’s a 70’s band called Bread, their songs are really cheesy but their also really melodic, so, as embarrassing as it is, I quite like some of their stuff.
Declan : To be honest, I’m a massive Take that fan. The new album is brilliant and I’ve been really fond of the last 2 albums. The earlier stuff is not my cup of tea, But the new take that I’m really enjoying.

Steven : My one guilty pleasure in music is Clubland. It's quite embarrassing to be honest but if "Castles in the sky" comes on my ipod I won't skip it.

There's a review that I did of the boys gig in Nice'n'Sleazys a couple of weeks ago (if you scroll down you'll see it! Under reviews) but if you fancy seeing them in person, which I would most definitely recommend, they have a one more gig lined up before Christmas: PIVO PIVO, December 15th. Check out their myspace for  more details. http://www.myspace.com/herculeanmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment