Saturday 5 February 2011

DBA Gig


Death By Ambition- Barrowlands 2- Thursday 25/11/10


Barrowlands 2 is a great venue that I hadn't been to in years before this gig! If you get the opportunity to go and see any band at either Barrowlands or Barrowlands2, go! Even if it is just for the bouncy floor in the main room!

The boys opened with 'Input (mono)' then smoothly into their more popular track, 'Sit and Wait'. The crowd were really supportive and there was a really good turn out.
IMG_0089


















Death by Ambition's music really reminds me of Biffy Clyro. I've spent a lot of time trying to decide whether I actually think they sound like the Biff, or if it's just because I know they list Biffy as one of their main influences that I've made this link... I think 'Input' and their closing track 'Spiders' are exceptionally biffy-esque; the imagery they use in their lyrics, luring you in with their gentle guitar, then completely rocking your socks off by the time the interlude comes along. The face that several of their songs don't actually seem to end, but slip away from you as you're listening to them also reminds me of the almighty Biff.

Their heavier sound is really nicely accentuated by their quieter moments. 'Stargazer,' their penultimate song, went down exceptionally well with the crowd. The simple bass, acoustic guitar, and harmonica that Bob Dylan would be proud of, was the quiet moment that this ultimately rock band needed.
I think, considering that this band have not been together for terribly long (I think the current line up have been together for only 3months) it'll be interesting to see their sound develop. They are all clearly talented musicians and love music, so I'm excited to see what they do from here.
A strong start, but I want to see where they go from here. I think they're definitely capable of great things!
                                              (This is a repost of a blog from November 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment