Saturday 5 February 2011

Webcams and Guitars




ahem.... attention, attention... the studio web cam is now working.
I'm still debating whether or not I like the idea of people being able to see me in the studio as a) I both sing and dance along to songs when the microphones are off and b) I'm very clumsy, so I don't want people to see my expressions of sheer panic when I think I've broken the entire studio when really, I've just put up the wrong fader. I guess since this week will only be week two of the dreaded web cam we'll just need to wait and see. Links to the webcam are on www.radiocaley.com.
l_83107de715864fb5a3eb1fe86f0b73a5
Last week we also had the first time experience of having somebody play live in the studio for us! Paisley's own Michael Cassidy brought his guitar along and after a flustered entrance, settled down to woo us with his music.

Since he was live in the studio we tried to get out as much of his own live music, including 'Meet me at the corner,' 'My electric heart,' 'Everybody's scared' and his cover of Britney Spears' debut 'Hit me baby one more time,' which I have to admit, my inner twelve year old favoured!

His music is very old, but in a really fresh way! Not the best description, but let me explain; he mixes the continuous rhythm and momentum of artists like Johnny Cash with the lyrical narrative of the greats like Bob Dylan, then throws in his own wee Scottish accent, totalling to an entirely new artist and sound, with intertextualities of your old favourites.

We didn't have too much time to talk about his influences and what not, but what we did cover was his love for Rufus Wainwright, the t.v show Scrubs and the music that goes along with it (including Ted's band, who played in Glasgow last week).

We also had a chat about his own music video for 'Everybody's Scared' shot in and around Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUo54QYN8Pg

It was an absolute pleasure to have Cassidy in the studio playing for us; as I said on the show I'm always just in complete awe of people who are so musically talented (all I really do is push buttons and listen!). There was some really great feedback on both the txts and emails, so hopefully everyone listening, as well as watching, enjoyed themselves as much as we did!

This week we again have some amazingly talented folk into the studio to play live for us; Chris and Will from Glasgow bandDeath by Ambition will be bringing their guitars so they can sing us a song or two. Check them out on myspace and facebook in the mean time!

Lend me your ears (and your eyes if you must!) tomorrow evening, 6-7pm on radio caley! Don't forget to txt into the show if you're listening: 079 086 096 62

No comments:

Post a Comment