Saturday 5 February 2011

King Tuts New Year Revolution

So, King Tuts were doing this "New Year Revolution" thing, where they had local bands playing every night from the 3rd of January until the 16th. Now I would have very much have like to go to every gig, but alas January is not really a month where I have spare cash kicking about, so I had to limit myself to one.
The one I chose was on the 4th of January; She's Hit, Marco Polo, Suplex the kid and Sing-Kill-Worth. To be honest, the one I was really wanting to see was She's Hit. A couple of my amigos went to school with them and the guitarist happens to be my friend's brother, so I felt obliged to pop my head in and see what they could offer my ears.
We got there in time to see the band before them, Sing-Kill-Worth. I was completely mesmerised by them. The Glaswegian five-piece perform what they describe as "post-rock;" an ambient, experimental and progressive sound of music. They have no vocals to their sound, but do not for one second thing that is at all detrimental to their music or their band. This is what they say on their facebook page:
47403_471716036347_166010371347_7164874_4274819_nThis music we have written has allowed us to vent the emotions that are going on in our lives and the situations that are all around us. We feel that every piece of music we write, or song, is very special in its own way. Not sticking to one particular style or sound, but what immediately comes out. We want to write music that makes people think a little and to see what it is really making you feel. What better way to reach out to people than that?
The band had a spectacular turn out. The room was full of fans which might had lead to the atmosphere; when the band were performing, an almost wave of music was pulsing through the crowd. I don't know if it's because they were without a singer that it made the crowd hang on their every beat, every sound, but it was bloody brilliant anyway!
I'm hoping to try and get the guys into my show when we're back up and running. I'll let you know in due course!
It's safe to say, that after Sing-Kill-Worth, I was excited. The crowd was buzzing in post-awe-ness, and as She's Hit took to the stage, I was suitably ready to have my socks rocked.
Disappointment's a horrible thing...
They just didn't do it for me. Honestly and truly I wanted to like them. I was ready to love She's Hit. But sadly I found that they just looked really bored while performing, which was exceptionally unattractive. The singer was... I think the phrase "too cool for school" just about covers it. shes-hit-c-robyn-gibson-LST081029One thing I love about seeing bands perform live, is the excitement you can see in their eyes while they play, how they grow and strive from the reaction of the crowd. But these guys, just look, sounded and for all intensive purposes were bored!
The sound they band produced was... good. I think it's definitely something they could nurture and develop into being really great. There was debate amongst my amigos and myself about the drums... they didn't use a bass drum! The drummer stood to perform a la Florance and the Machine and Dananananaykroyd. The guys thought it was limiting, that a big part of their sound was missing. I was and still am undecided; I thought it made the sound quite different, not quite unique, but definitely different to the sounds kicking about Glasgow at the moment. However,  their singer wasn't really my cup of tea; I think he managed to make noises my cat would be proud of. And he had a weird fixation with the smoke machine which was a bit bemusing to observe.
So in brief, Sing-Kill-Worth, beautiful, established and entirely intriguing. She's Hit, young, bored, could be great but they're requiring a new singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment